StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Tuesday 27 May 2014

Knitted vest in (awful) electric blue

Would you like to see the very first garment I ever designed?  Yes?  Your wish is my command.  There you go:

knitted vest

When I was about 8 years old, I decided I want to knit a sweater.  My wonderful Mum took me to a yarn shop, let me choose whatever materials I wanted and patiently guided me through the knitting process.  As far as I can remember, I almost finished the back of my sweater before I lost interest and the project was abandoned. 

20 years on I asked Mum to share some of her stash and that very same yarn arrived in the post.

One thing I know for sure - the eight year old me had the most awful taste imaginable.  I almost wept, because there was no way in hell the adult me would wear anything in this horrible shade of electric blue, oh no. 

Luckily, my partner's Mum, who was staying with us at the time, expressed moderate admiration for the colour.  On a blonde like her, she said, the shade would look great.  On the spot I promised an electric blue garment just for her.  That's what you get for being polite, hah hah. 

My passion for knitting freshly rediscovered, I decided to design my own pattern.  I got quite ambitious, and even though I had never knitted cables before I chose the most complicated one in my book*.

knitting - cable detail

The cable was a bitch to knit - please don't choose it for your introduction to cables, unless you like challenges - but many swear words later the vest was complete, embellished with buttons (ah, buttons...  There will be a post about buttons, I promise) and gifted away. 

It may not be the most beautiful or intricate design in the world.  Still, for the very first design in my portfolio, I dare say it's pretty decent.  Would you agree?

Oh, that weird neckline is not something permanent, it's just how the vest was laid out for the photo :)

PATTERN:

My own but most likely unrepeatable, because I have no clue where my notes to the project might be. 

* The book, if you're interested, was called The Knitting and Crochet Bible.  I've outgrown it since but for a beginner knitter (or crocheter), it is a fabulous resource. 

No comments:

Post a Comment