StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Wednesday 21 May 2014

What's in the works? Wednesday update

I've been showering you with finished objects for a while, it's time to report on what's cooking right now.  I still have a shelf full of old creations, but they will have to wait their turn.

I hate having more than one WIP.  If something is hanging on my needles, I simply won't start another piece because I know that enthusiasm for new knit will turn working on the old one into a chore.  Having said that, I currently have two projects going on *:)*:  one not quite finished, one not yet begun.

Negativium is my own design.  It's a warm weather top, knitted with pure cotton yarn and I only hope that Irish summer this year will let me wear it once in a while.  If, that is, it fits - strange things can happen if you are careless when calculating your gauge.  Initial observations seem to point in the 'too tight' direction, but cotton is very forgiving on that score.  Keep your fingers crossed with me.

cotton top stretched out for blocking

Negativium is stretched out for blocking now (who needs a blocking mat if you have carpet?) and it's drying sooooo slowly.  It needs a few more finishing touches before being officially declared complete, but as I can't progress with it right now, I started plotting a new design.

Top down raglan sweaters seem to be all the rage these days, but I haven't tried this technique before.  I had been reluctant to join the crowd - following fashions is NOT my thing - but I've seen too many smashing projects knitted this way to just let it go.  Plus, I feel like learning a new trick.

swatching for new knit

I have my yarn (isn't this the most glorious shade of blue?  It is, but you can't really tell from the picture, because my camera is a damn liar.  Sigh...) and I'm swatching for gauge now.  I expect to start knitting pullover  proper this evening, designing my own pattern with this and this tutorial for guidelines.  I plan for a very simple yoke and perhaps a few frills lower down, but we'll see how it goes.  Wish me luck!

What's happening in your workshop these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment