StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Saturday 17 May 2014

Colour Fiesta cross stitched bag

Another project from long ago, this time cross stitched.  Knitting and crocheting are my preferred fibre crafts, but once in a while I get the irresistible need to grab a proper sewing needle.

cross stitched bag

Stitching up a bag like this takes eternity.  The embroidered part clocks (precisely!) 24,336 cross stitches, so, as you can probably imagine, three or four months of intensive sewing passed by before the project was completed.  I'm not complaining, not at all.  I seem to have a natural knack for large, time-consuming creations.  I don't find them tedious at all, especially if - as in this case - pattern and colour changes frequently. 

cross stitch work in progress

I'm not much of a visual artist, but I can handle geometry.  Each square is composed of very simple shapes, symmetry and colour do all the work when it comes to final effect. 

A few of my favourite squares, close up:

cross stitch square


cross stitch square


cross stitch square

Finishing projects off is my Achilles' heel and it shows.  From a distance is doesn't look THAT bad, but when you look up close, the imperfections are obvious.  I got better since then, fortunately :)

cross stitched bag


cross stitched bag

Back of the bag is made from upcycled upholstery fabric (an old swatch book from a furniture shop can be priceless if you know what to do with it).  Front and back are joined on three sides by handle strap - length of thick felt wrapped in lining fabric.  Lining and satin ribbon on the opening edges to neaten them up complete the job. 

Snags or not, I'm quite happy with my little bag.  Such a festival of colour simply cannot fail to lift one's mood. 

cross stitched bag


PATTERN:

I copied one little square from a schematic found somewhere online, otherwise the design is entirely my own. 

I will be happy to make it available if anyone's interested, but mapping out a diagram this size involves a bit of work and I will do it only if I know that someone wants it. 

If you would like to purchase the schematic for this project for a small fee, please let me know in the comments or email me and I will write it up for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment