StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Saturday 7 June 2014

To rip or not to rip - that is the question

As you can see from the picture below, my blue raglan pullover is coming along nicely.

blue raglan pullover

I'm improvising all the way, discovering things in the process.  For example:  NOT taking notes when making up a pattern can feel extra liberating.  With my last couple of knits, I had been meticulously charting up each stitch and it's cool to go with the flow for a change.

Another thing I discovered is not so joyful, because it endangers the very existence of my Carefree Blue*.  I should've used larger needles.  3.5 mm is too skinny for DK yarn, goddamnit.  At the beginning of work I couldn't make my mind up whether the emerging fabric is too stiff or not and now, when I'm sure that it is, I'm almost done.

To rip or not to rip?  Early findings suggest that body of the pullover will probably pass muster, but fit around the chest is little funny.  Can I live with little funny?  More important:  can I live with ripping up almost three weeks' worth of work?  Actually, spread out on grass, Carefree Blue looks rather nice.  Maybe the photo shoot saved the knit...

Destiny of Carefree Blue remains to be decided, in the meantime let me show you a neat trick I also discovered recently:

sleeve stitches on hold

Weed whacker line is a great stitch holder!

* I'm probably not great in making up romantic/funky/cool-sounding pattern names.  Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment