StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Tuesday 16 December 2014

In Defence of Acrylic Yarn

I have attempted this topic once before, for a different publishing platform, but I grew too heated in my arguments and the article was scrapped before publication.  I'll try to keep it polite this time, but I feel quite strongly about some aspects of the subject so please let me apologise in advance if I ruffle some feathers. 

From what I observed, for most of the knitting community 'acrylic' seems to be a dirty word.  Hardly any patterns specify acrylic yarn as suggested material (some baby knits excepted).  'Anything but acrylic' appears to be the obligatory answer when you're asked which yarn is your favourite.  In general, knitting with synthetic fibre is a crime akin to farting in a ballroom - you may not be jailed for it, but it's certainly not something that happens in a polite society. 

acrylic yarn

Well, I've always had a soft spot for the underdog and I have to confess that I'm often irked by such attitudes.  While acrylic does have some disadvantages, it also has many qualities that more than make up for it.  A knitting book (the title of which I cannot recall just now) once described it as 'low in snob value' and I think this explains perfectly why synthetics are shunned and also, perhaps, why I like them so much. 

Because, let me say it loud and proud, I love acrylic yarn!  Ok, maybe love is too strong a word but I certainly can see nothing wrong with it.  Some 80% of yarn in my stash is non-natural and I intend to keep it this way.  Why?  A couple of reasons.

1.  Ease of washing

This is the big one.  Since I tore my hands bloody many years ago in a washing machine-less student accommodation, I get pissed off when I even think of hand washing.  Why, then, would I want to keep on making clothes that can only be cleaned this way?  I throw my acrylic sweaters to the washing machine, spin the hell out of them and voila, the job is done.  By the way, did I mention that acrylic fibre dries really, really fast?  And doesn't felt?

acrylic sweater

2.  No need to block

I may not hate blocking, but I don't exactly love it, either.  Acrylic does not need blocking, just the opposite - heat blocking may destroy it.  Off the needles = ready to wear.

3.  Softness

Hair shirts may have been in vogue back in the medieval times, but we've moved on since then.  I can't think of any reason why I would want to spend time making a garment that I could not comfortably wear afterwards.  Obviously, you can have soft natural fibres - fair play there - but I've seen wools that I would not dress my worst enemy in.  So what if it's natural when it's also unwearable?  Acrylics - especially baby acrylics - are almost universally soft and smooth.

4.  Price

I am very against turning knitting into budget-breaking, elite hobby.  Let's be frank - natural fibres are waaaaaaaay more expensive than acrylics.  Sure, I get that hand dying and spinning are work intensive, time consuming crafts.  I'm happy for those who manage to stay afloat in the business and I wish them many loaded, snobbish clients.  In the meantime, can I have my yarn with low price tag, please? 

acrylic yarn

I could probably think of a few more arguments in defense of the humble acrylic, but this post is already too wordy for comfort.  I hope I managed to convince you that synthetics are not quite as bad as the rumour would have it. 

If you disagree, feel free to voice off in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment