StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Monday 22 December 2014

Aran Red update

It seems that talking about a problem might be the first step towards a solution.  After pouring my heart out yesterday, I remembered a piece of equipment which I don't own, but have access to and after figuring out various boring technical details, I am reluctantly back in the photographic saddle.

This does not mean that I have learned to take good pictures or that I suddenly started to enjoy the process, but I can at least show you my progress on the red aran pullover.

red ara pullover

It is currently growing at a supersonic rate of 2-3 rounds a day, which may be due to some or all of the following:

a) I'm still recovering from the recent bout of knitting block.  I don't get queasy at the very thought of knitting anymore, but the idea of spending a couple of hours with yarn still lacks the usual appeal.  Feels weird but there you go.

b) While I'm usually fairly confident in my designing abilities, I'm little uneasy about this whole 'I'll figure out details when I get there' attitude.  I'm getting dangerously close to the armholes, where I will have to start counting again and I'm not in much hurry to get there.  Hey, it's the dark time of the year, I am not at my sharpest and brightest. 

c) At this stage, the pullover starts looking dangerously short-ish.  I did swatch and measure etc., but swatches are notoriously fickle.  I have a bit over 30 cm now and only a few rows to go before dividing for armholes if I were to proceed as planned, but I'm more and more convinced that the plan will need serious adjustments.  It is remotely possible that a couple of extra rows will fix the problem (do you think I can count on my luck here?), but I rather suspect it's more complex than that.  You see, the design includes some significant waist shaping and I fear the stubborn shortness may mean that the skinniest part is not where it should be.  I sense some ripping in the air...  We'll see.  I'm not that eager to find out.  Maybe, if I give it enough time, it will fix itself?

I know I had one more excellent reason to take things slowly but for the life of me, I cannot remember what it was.  Obviously, it was extremely important and not a lie at all. 

The yarn is still gloriously red though, and even at my current astonishing speed I should finish the sweater before the winter ends, so all is good, right? 

One more pic for you, this one more truthful about the colour:


Sorry about the weird angle.  I'm only beginning to crack this photography thing. 

How are your Christmas preparations going?  Will I be the object of your envy if I tell you that mine are non-existent, because I cancelled Christmas this year? 

I'll tell you more tomorrow.

Oh, and I just remembered reason d) for knitting in bite size chunks.  Here it comes:

d) I lack any ambition whatsoever.  This, if you were wondering, is a 100% truth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment