StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Saturday 11 October 2014

Socks happen

I'm proud to announce that my first ever pair of socks is finished!

So is the second, actually, and the third pair is already on the needles - it seems that knitting socks really is addictive.

The first pair I did was for myself - I figured that if sock knitting turns out trickier than expected, I should be the one to wear the imperfect results of my efforts.  No need to worry, really.  The first few rounds on DPNs were a bit awkward, but after ten minutes or so I got back up to my usual speed.  A week later I had this:

knitted socks

Rather nice, don't you think?

And I DID knit two of them - here's proof:

knitted socks

I knitted from a pattern (see details at the end of this post), and a very simple one, too.  I needed to understand how a sock is constructed so I could design my own in the future.  I think I cracked it, but I am yet to test this theory. 

My second pair of socks was destined for my Other Half, and as per his request, I used the same pattern again, only somewhat bigger and in more manly colours. 

While he was quite happy with the socks, at first he flatly refused to model for images so I thought I'll be reduced to rather crappy photos on the washing line...

knitted socks

In the end, though, he relented and let me borrow one of his feet for a photo shoot.

knitted socks

Much better!


knitted socks

I had some problems with the second sock syndrome, mainly because both yarns were cut and knotted - a disaster in self-striping yarn!  It's almost impossible to accurately estimate where exactly the thread has been cut and to rejoin it so colour progression is not disturbed.  In consequence, neither pair is exactly identical.  I don't much care with household knitting, but if this was a commission or a gift, I would have been seriously pissed.  It wasn't the cheapest yarn, too, which only proves to me once again that more expensive does not always mean better. 

I will update soon with my works in progress (yes, works!  I finally broke the old habit and cast on two projects at once!): the aforementioned socks no. 3 and a gorgeous lace shawl I've decided to tackle as a result of my recent obsession with Shetland lace.  Also, there is a bagful of new, beautiful yarn waiting to be photographed and bragged about, and a new FO that was gifted away but the new owner promised to produce some nice pictures for me.  Check back soon!

PATTERN:

Nice Ribbed Socks by Glenna C.  A simple yet effective knitting pattern, it is very well written, easy to follow and FREE.  Glenna's blog, by the way, is also worth recommending - my knitting-related reading list is relatively short, but she's made the selection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment