StitchSmart

StitchSmart

Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

Knitting on two fronts

Contrary to my usual habit, I'm working on two projects at the moment.

The first is the result of my recent obsession with Shetland lace.  I saw this video...


...and fell in love both with the northern accent and the fine knitting.

I don't wear scarves or shawls but luckily, my sister does.  The pattern I chose - Ardrum Scarf - may not be 100% authentic Shetland but it's free and it's close enough to what I wanted.  I forked some serious cash out (I could have two sweaters' worth of acrylic for the price of two lace skeins) and ordered this beauty:


It's a lace weight mixture of wool and silk and it will be a bitch to wash but my oh my, isn't it smooth!

I'm some 1/10th into the scarf.  It knits nicely and requires no particular skill, although it DOES require constant attention.  I mean it, brain on 100% focus all the time.  I still have a premonition that I will make a mistake at some stage, focus or not.

Anyway, here's my progress so far:


Of course it looks all crumpled up at the moment, lace needs blocking to reveal all its glory.  A picture against the light shows some of the lacy texture, but even so there's not much to show off with, not yet.


With such a complicated knit on the needles, I needed something simple for mindless knitting when there are too many distractions around.  I still have oodles of sock yarn so I cast on for Everyday Hermione's Socks.  I'm resizing for 60 stitches - I did start with specified 64 but the sock looked huge and I had to rip it all up - but even with the mods it is a very straightforward knit.  I'll be starting the heel flap any minute now.


I'm itching to finish those projects as soon as I can because I want to make a nice, warm sweater and I'm NOT going to cast on a third project to be worked simultaneously.  Realistically though, it will be some more weeks before the scarf is done so I'll probably have my sweater in December, if that.  Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment